Make sure your Bartletts receive proper conditioning and handling for optimum sales and good shelf life.
An eight-week study was recently conducted with two major retailers in a regional market. The study, which involved 40 stores in a “test vs. control” environment, was conducted during July and August — historically low average months for the pear category. Here are the key findings:
- Stores displaying “breaking” Bartletts outperformed the sales of stores with non-treated green Bartlett pears 3 to 1.
- Treated pears to “breaking” stage generated an average of 18% greater volume sales than non-ethylene treated green Bartletts.
- During advertised promotion, sales of breaking Bartletts increased by as much as 52%.
Consumers are very clear about what they’re looking for in the Bartletts they buy:
- 3 out of 4 consumers prefer Bartletts with “more yellow, less green” color.
- 52% of consumers say the Bartletts’ appearance is the most important attribute. Of the 52%, 13% said
ripeness was the key feature to appearance.
- Only 23% of consumers say they know how to ripen a pear.
- Only 8% of consumers know where to feel on a pear to determine if it is ripe (at the stem).
Condition for Color
Consumers want pears with an appetizing appearance and ripeness. That’s why proper conditioning and handling of your California Bartlett Pears is so important. There are two ways to manage this critical task.
- Obtain ethylene-conditioned California Bartlett Pears from a shipper. When the Bartletts arrive, have them pressure-tested by trained warehouse personnel. Store pears as required per your specifications, and ship to stores as needed. Fruit ripening happens at the store level. If you’d like to make sure your store personnel are up-to-date with proper pear management, we can send them helpful information at your request.
- Obtain California Bartlett pears from a shipper. When they arrive, warm pulp temperature to 55 degrees or higher. Treat pears with ethylene for 24-36 hours in banana rooms. Ship pears to stores as needed, or return to storage after cooling. Fruit ripening happens at the store level. To ensure success, we can train your warehouse personnel at your request.